The first Feast was held without statues of the Saints. The following individuals
were the initial members of the Men's Society. They are credited for sending to Italy
for our statues of Saints Cosmas and Damian. Each member donated equally toward the
total cost of $265 for the statues and $90 for the cabinet in which they would be
kept. The Statues arrived in crates which were opened in the home of Cosmo Pennacchio
on Porter Street in East Cambridge. The original agreements of the Committee were
drawn and registered by the Law Office of Joseph Cherubino, 129 Fifth Street, East
Cambridge, MA, on August 6th, 1927. The Men's Society eventually accepted additional
members and held meetings separately from the Women's Society until 1993 when it
melded together with the Women's Society.
The following individuals were the founders and initial members of the Women's Society.
They organized on July 5th, 1937, under the name of "Associazione Cattolica Femminile,
S.S. Cosmo e Damiano, di Cambridge, e Somerville, Massachusetts". They were led by
Marietta Colarutolo and they met at the Columbus Association, a local social club
located at 48 Warren Street, East Cambridge, MA. The group formally registered itself
with the State of Massachusetts on June 2nd, 1938. The Society, again led by Marietta
Colaruotolo, purchased a parcel of land located at 17 Porter Street in April of 1948.
The condemned house which occupied the land was demolished by Gaetano Amendola and
Giuseppe Gallena, and the existing chapel was built to house the Saints.